Saturday, August 26, 2006

Meet the Parents (Well, the grandmother anyway)

So yesterday was my grandmother's 80th birthday and my baby and I took her out to dinner. She'd never met him before, so I was excited to FINALLY introduce Mr. Smith to her. (Yes she knows about me!) As of late, she has really taken an interest in my personal life. This entire meeting process has been a little weird for me. Growing up in my household, we never really talked about our personal lives, except to only our friends, but never to an adult family member. That would have been considered blasphemy!!!

Well over the past few weeks, she has been quite interested in the goings on of my love life. It all started when I told her I was taking the trip to San Francisco. "Oh, with who?" she asked. I'm like, "A friend." Ever since then she has been bombarding me with questions, digging for more dirt. "Are you dating a guy or a girl?", "Are you happy?, "What does he do?", "Is he a good guy?" Watch out Diane and Barbara, yall got some new competition on your hands!!! And this old lady knows how to get to the hard-hitting questions!

One day she pointed out the fact that our family has never discussed out love life with each other (my sister and I do, but after her, that's IT!!!). She then went on to ask me about Mr. Smith (how weird) and almost made me feel bad when she commented on how I never introduce her to anyone I'm dating. I knew then that it was time I combine my family life and love life. I was a bit nervous, but I figured everything would go well.

The evening was very pleasant and my grandmother really seemed to enjoy herself and our company, which definitely works for me. She and my baby got along very well. They conversed and shared stories and she even remembered his name, which is always a good sign. She told him to stop by sometime and invited him to dinner. I'm sure he even got her seal of approval! I'm fine with that, because as long as she knows and sees that I'm happy, then she'll be content.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR!!!
P.S. Today, I had breakfast with my baby and his family. That was also very nice. It's nice to be included in your lover's family meetings and gatherings, isn't it??? Thanks for inviting me baby, it meant a lot!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is bad to see that you're slapping your grandmother in the face with your vile affection with men that will inevitably mean that you will not be able to help continue the generational line in a healthy, moral and practical manner. I also fought society for accepting such behaviors.

Saturday, September 02, 2006 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home