Monday, August 28, 2006

Out with the old, in with the new

So, my replacement got in town last night. We had a late dinner and I gave her the lowdown on everything she needed to know about the hotel, the staff, the Haba, our boss, our colleagues, etc. One of her major concerns was where to get her hair and nails done, as well as the club scene, which kinda concerened me. I'm like, "Shouldn't she be asking me more about the staff? Why isn't she asking me more questions about the property?" Maybe I'm sounding like an overprotective parent whose afraid to leave their children alone with the new nanny.

I formally introduced her to the staff this morning. After she left at the end of the day, the staff asked me what did I think of her. I was as honest as I could be. They didn't seem to impressed with her. They didn't hit it off with her like they did me. They compared us and expressed how comfortable they were around me instantaneously, which truly touched me. I guess errbody don't do like I do!!! Lol. They made me promise that I would call and check on them after I'm gone.

Anyways, I hope she doesn't rub my kids the wrong way. I'd hate to have to install surveillance camera inside the lobby clock just to make sure she isn't meaning them any harm. They have truly taken care of me and have been my family for the past year and I just want for them to be OK once I'm gone. So ol' girl betta have her stuff together because I will be watching!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have reserved your honest opinion about the new manager to the staff. You have just made more issues for her and the staff because they are taking your comments and acting on it by not making her comfortable either.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Capricorn_HNIC said...

I see your point, but I have never deceived my staff and just because I'm leaving doesn't mean I have to start. They know that I expect for them to treat her the same way they treated me. They also know that they have to warm up to her. They just asked me my honest opinion and I didn't feel the need to lie or sugarcoat anything with them.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand your loyalty to your staff, as I understand what it is being a Captain. Just like the saying, "Trust the Captain, trust the crew" you have built a reputation before them.

HOWEVER, my old boss said this to me some years ago that I remain faithful to utilize in all my staff interactions, "Tell the truth, but not the whole truth." Sometimes it is better if certain honest opinions and information remain sealed. You have to protect the commonwealth that the staff is responsible for operating.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home